Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Being Rich

Sometimes the clearest truths are hidden in plain sight, in broad daylight, right in front of your face. It’s like not seeing the trees because of the forest or not seeing the forest because of the trees; however that saying goes.

I am sitting on the porch of my high school roommate Gilli’s house in Kibbutz Mishmarot, just a few feet from the spot where my cabin was when I lived here in the army. I have a cup of Turkish coffee next to me, my wonderful partner getting dressed in the other room and a full day before me. I am a very happy guy.

Coming back to Israel has been the best homecoming ever. I feel rich with love and joy and so many good things. I arrive in a city or kibbutz, knock on a door and am greeted with love. My friendships make me so rich, so content, so happy. I fill with pride every time I introduce Diane to another of my friends. This trip has been proof that you are reflected in the company you keep. My friends all share a great commitment to our country. Gilli has always been committed to the security of the country. Snait cares about the ethical behavior of the government. Yair wants Judaism to be defined broadly and positively. He gave up on his orthodoxy, doesn’t believe and still shares my commitment to our sacred texts and the values we derive from them. Today we will have dinner with Sharon, Itamar’s friend Neveh’s mom, and the family. She wants her contribution to come through cinema just as my high school buddy Doron does. He has won 3 Israeli Oscars, hangs them in his washroom and thinks of his film work as his tikkun olam. Tonight we will sleep at my teacher and friend Lori’s house. Her contribution to my education can be summarized in one word, “Scope.” She taught me to see the world with eyes wide open. This morning we will, hopefully, see Marissa, Diane’s daughter. She is in the process of giving this country a place in her heart as she travels with Birthright. She is a very special girl and I am lucky that she is part of the package. And everywhere I go, people ask about my children with great interest and love. “Is Itamar still playing baseball?” “Is Sahar still as brilliant as she was when I knew her here?” “Has Maya taken that beautiful face out of her books? She’s depriving the world of her smile.”

Life is wonderful. Israel is a rich and magnificent miracle, but really not a miracle, the product of the hard work of my people. I feel good.

No comments: